Sunday 15 August 2010

Getting there. Well, getting somewhere

Or, 7 weeks and counting

One last week of gently-gently build up is out of the way. Pain free (well, pain free in the areas that have been the problem) and a big step up in the longer run, so I've now committed to a proper programme for Le Mans. 7 weeks, in reality, is only going to be 5 of serious training to allow for some form of taper at the end - and even that's cut down from the usual 3 weeks.

So I sat down and charted a schedule - 4 days of running a week with a spin, a gym and a rest day. One run will be Tempo or speedwork, one recovery and one at target pace. Which means I need to decide a target pace - something that I haven't allowed myself the luxury of doing so far. Forget 8 minute miles for 3:30. 8:30 would be just under 3:45, 9:00 just under 4:00.

I'm feeling fairly comfortable running around 8:30 pace on short to medium runs, so we'll take that as the starting point. Worth remembering that this is over 30 secs a mile slower that I was running 4-5 months ago, but it's all so different this time. First thing, it's simply a matter of all the miles I've missed. At this stage for London I'd done over 260 miles - this time around 140. I just don't have the miles in my legs, and I'm not going to go mad by doing silly miles-a-week. Secondly, as I've mentioned before, I simply don't like the heat when I'm running and I reckon warm conditions leave me 15-20 secs a mile slower.

So, I'm being realistic. Conservative, perhaps, but at the moment it's about getting to the start and getting round in a reasonable time. 8:30 miles would actually give me a PB after my late-race issues in London, so at least there's a small carrot there.

The week was quite straight forward. Back to Scotstoun on Thursday for some speedwork - just two miles at 6:27 and 6:34, but also chucked in a 1:30 400m and a 34 sec 200m. Today was a big step up on the long run - something that is going to characterise the remainder of the programme - 20% a week increases with no real  chance to repeat. Chose a 15.5 mile loop round Glen Fruin, breaking off at the hill at the top of the Glen and looping round to the naval base at Faslane, before coming home along the side of Gare Loch and almost coming to a stop on the 2 mile slog uphill to the house.

It was an absolutely stunning day - completely cloud-free, sunny and very, very warm. Despite the discomfort, it was difficult not to enjoy being out on such a day. So I enjoyed it as much as I could, drank in the views, but spent some time cursing the hills that feature throughout the route. Legs were pretty much shot by the time I got home, but that's to be expected at this stage. 2:24 was about 8 minutes off the pace I'd done the route before, which wasn't bad considering the conditions (weather AND me!).

Musically, it's Boss Time. Been listening to a lot of Springsteen recently, so I'm going back to the playlist for one of the songs that's guaranteed to put a spring in the step and get a bit of air-drumming going.



So, there you go. Definitely doing this thing now, so better get serious about the training and preparation. Pass me another Sauvignon Blanc...

Week's summary: 3 runs, 26 miles: Long run 15.5 miles
Miles since entering Le Mans: 143