Saturday 27 February 2010

8 weeks and counting

Or, Bon Jovi week.

As in "Whoaaahh, we're half way there...". Yes, 8 weeks through the 16 of The Programme. The easier 8 weeks, if you're a glass half empty sort of person, but I'm a glass completely full sort of person at the moment, having decided to reward myself on reaching this milestone (plus the 500 miles since acceptance one) with a cheeky glass of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Even though the sun's barely over the yardarm. Not that we have a yardarm, obviously; look a bit dumb on the front lawn. Anyway, I digress.

First week back has been a real mixed bag. Very gentle 4 miles on Monday to test for adverse reactions (none) before the return of the snow. Blowing a blizzard on Wednesday and foolishly decided not to wear the shades on aesthetic grounds, then had to run directly into the blizzard for the first 2 miles. Result: eyes so bloodshot people were cowering. On the other hand, once the direction I was running in changed and I could see, it was absolutely beautiful. Overnight rain turned the snow to a slushy gloop on Wednesday, and I had about the most miserable run ever. Simply hateful in every respect, including nearly giving myself hypothermia by taking my hat off, then wondering why I felt light headed and out of energy. Fool.

Today made up for it, though. Having reconnoitred the far end of Glen Fruin as being almost snow free, I decided on the 16 miler. After a horrible first mile through deep snow, the roads in the Glen were clear. Despite a strong cold wind, the sun was out and it was absolutely stunning. After the misery of Thursday, to drop straight into a complete joy to be out was just what I needed. Almost completely ignored the Garmin and just ran and sang (again, not approved technique, but what the hell). The Glen was deserted. Only saw one runner and 2 cyclists in 6 miles - not a single car, but plenty of deer brought down from the hills by the snow.

Nearly veered off to do the 18 miler, but the sensible head kicked in and reminded me not to overdo it. Good advice too, as my right ITB started to tweak a couple of times in the last few miles. Slowed it down, stopped to stretch a couple of times, and it seemed OK at the end.

The same song has had me singing out loud twice this week. I've used it's namesake by The Music a long time ago, but it was The Killers' Human that's grabbed me this week.



Still mystified by how these lifts from the amazing Albert Hall DVD haven't been taken down, but not going to complain!

Week's summary: 4 runs, 34 miles: Long run 15.6 miles
Miles since acceptance: 504