Saturday 6 February 2010

11 weeks and counting

Or, Team GI rides again.

Came to the conclusion that trying do the Wednesday tempo runs or speedwork on the hilly roads round here would be a killer, so I decided to head somewhere totally flat – the track at the newly refurbished Scotstoun Stadium in Glasgow. I last used this years ago when I refereed, and the nice new grandstand with decent changing rooms and a warm-up track make a change from the peeling, dilapidated mess that I remember. Cheap too, at £3.90 for unlimited track access.

The snow had returned by 6pm, so the place was deserted, but I got my planned session in – 7.5 miles including 6 at 6:49 pace (although The Programme said 7:00). Also bunged an extra lap on to the 6m to make it a full 10k, which I did in 42:24 - almost 2 mins inside my PB.

Some amusement after 27 laps when a security guard appeared, waved me down, and told me I couldn’t use the track as it was closed due to the snow. Having pointed out that 1) they’d taken my money 2) they’d turned lights on for me, 3) I’ve been out here for 45 minutes, have you just noticed me and 4) I’ve only got 3 laps to go and I’m bloody well going to finish them, he retreated.

Been dreading the long run all week. Another extension of the Glen Fruin loop, now 18.3 miles with a detour through Garelochead, but the timing had to change. I usually run just after lunchtime, but because of afternoon plans, I had to tolerate a 10am start to get it done, cleaned up, fed and this thing written. This meant getting up at 8 for hydration and carbs.

Not a particularly nice day to start with, but by the time I got to the top end of the run, the contrast between dark clouds and bright sun on the land was lovely. With the Garmin helping me hold a suitably slow pace, it seemed to work. A long way further than I’ve ever run before, and though and the legs suffered a bit on the last 2 miles up the hill, it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. An major milestone ticked off in 2 hours 38.

Tried one of the Lucozade “high-carb” gels for an energy boost half way round, in the spirit of trying stuff in training rather than leaving it to the race. Not the pleasantest taste or texture, but avoided both puking and stomach cramps, and there seemed to be an energy boost.

The reason for the Saturday rescheduling is a Glasgow reunion of Team General Ignorance with two of the other Sucata Split teams. For those blissfully unaware of my charity banger-running past, please check the links. It also explains my predilection for luminous yellow.

Amazingly, whilst musing on matters Team GI on the downhill section into Garelochead, I was over taken by one of these - a "General" (may the lord rest his mechanical soul) no less.



OK, without the Gulf stripes and the infeasibly large bonnet mascot, but an honest F-plate Volvo 240GL nontheless.

Having run, replenished with a huge plate of Amy’s signature cheesy-pasta and many isotonic drinks, I’m about the head out the door for a subcrawl (Google it!). I’m not entirely sure that this is a good idea, and I suspect a fairly significant bounce off “the wall” might occur in a few hours time.

Now that my long runs are “bloody miles”, I’ve decided to extend the playlist to a 4th artist for variety, so please welcome the Manic Street Preachers. Amy and Matthew’s first gig was this lot in 2002 – when they were 10 and 7. Persuaded them it was OK to sing along with the chorus of…



This probably makes me a very bad Dad, but it *was* very funny. This clip from the Millennium Stadium gig at the turn of the, er, Millennium - please ignore the unwelcome intrusion of Arthur Scargill at the end.

Week’s Summary: 4 runs, 38 miles: Long run 18.3 miles
Miles Since Acceptance: 430