Sunday 25 April 2010

0 days and no more counting

Or, today's the day.

Well. Here we are. This is what all the training, talking, training, blogging, training and tweeting has been about. It's just before 7, I've eaten a light breakfast of bread and cereals, drunk some water and some Lucozade Sport. It looks dray and as if the cloud is going to break up nicely.

There's nothing else for it. I have to go and do this.

Race plan is simple. Steady pace all the way round and remember that if I start slow because of the sheer number of runners, I've got LOTS of miles to make it steadily back to target pace. That's all I've got.

Thanks again to everyone for all their support. Family, friends, colleagues, Facebookers, Tweeters. It's all been invaluable.

The hotel made sure it's evening menu had high carb options last night, which was a nice move. Thai Fishcakes with noodles followed by my first ever vegetarian main course of Tagliatelle & Courgette with a Basil & Tomato sauce - yummy - and I did allow myself a small but relaxing glass of Rioja to help with the nerves (it did).

To my immense surprise, I slept great - best sleep for about a fortnight. Woke just before 6 feeling refreshed, so I didn't need any of the 3 alarms scattered across the room OR the alarm call (paranoid, moi?).

As London Underground and SouthEastern trains provide free travel for competitors, the immediate future goes: walk to Westminster, Jubilee line to London Bridge, train to Blackheath, dump the kit bag, use the toilet 23 times, start.

After that, who knows?