Saturday 21 November 2009

22 weeks and counting

Or, the week it got serious.

As you've probably seen on the telly, it's been quite rainy this week. Whilst much of it has fallen on the unfortunate people of Cumbria, that which was left over has followed me around the West of Scotland, either in direct "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" fashion, or by interfering with planned routes.

Tuesday's 7 miler out to Eaglesham - albeit in pleasant conditions - was interrupted at a flooded ford, requiring a scrabble up a steep bank, wandering along the dual carriageway and then back down the other side to take up the route again. Then Thursday's run was "enjoyed" in the midst of the gales and downpour that affected others so much more than a mere runner. The thinking at this point was along the lines of "I'm going to be training all through the winter, so I may as well get used to awful conditions now".

Hence I found myself on the 1306 to Arrochar (again) in another downpour, with an extension of the route of 2 weeks ago in mind. Just under 13 miles. Now this is a lovely train ride and for the tourists who use the West Highland Line, the first glimpses of the mountains. Once you pass Garelochead and beyond the "secret" ammunition dumps at Glen Douglas, you start to get views of Loch Long, The Cobbler and the Arrochar Alps (well, usually) and everyone gravitates to the left of the train. Fairly sure that no-one else's VLM training runs start with such a ride.

Equally, I'm fairly sure that few runs can match the trip back down Loch Lomond - although the weather was, again, apocalyptically bad for the first few miles and the Loch as close to the top as I can remember.  Dreich doesn't even begin to cover it.

Then, after about 6 miles, the rain stopped and the cloud started to lift (a bit). Rather than greys, the browns of autumn were now all over Ben Lomond, waterfalls pouring from the flanks and wispy mist licking the summit. Definition in the cloud levels suggested a further break was imminent, and this came on the iPod



All was well for a few miles, and the fact that you don't need blue skies to enjoy this part of the world reiterated.

Then it started to rain again. Heavily. And I got to 11 miles and my knees started to hurt. And I left the lochside for the A82 and wondered what the feck I was doing hobbling along a trunk road in the pishing rain. Anyhow, it got done. It reminded me that no-one said it was going to be easy but no-one forced me to do it.

It also got me a nice warm bath with a glass of #sauvignon and a wee snooze afterwards. Onwards.

Week's summary. 3 runs: 25 mile: Long run: 12.9 miles.
Miles since acceptance: 118